The firstname.lastname@example.org list is the newly combined mailing list for all CTLUG communication. The email@example.com mailing list is no more.
The CTLUG mailing list is distributed "reply-to-sender." This means the Reply-To: header is not altered or "munged" by the mailing list software. Selecting "reply" within your mail reader will address your response to the author of the message instead of the list itself. We want to encourage group discussion so instead please select "group reply". To avoid duplicate mail please remove all addresses except that of the mailing list. E.g. everything but firstname.lastname@example.org. Some mail readers such as mutt, evolution, kmail and sylpheed have a "list reply" functionality specifically for replying to reply-to-sender lists. Please consult your documentation.
You must be subscribed to post to the list. The email address you use to send messages must match /exactly/ the one you subscribed. E.g. email@example.com is not the same as firstname.lastname@example.org — mail admins sometimes make this sort of change without notice. Since this address will be in the first message your receive from the list please save it for future reference. Seriously, save that message. List subscription instructions can be found at http://www.ctlug.org/ctlug_list.html.
If you would like to receive list mail at only one address but be able to post from other addresses you may subscribe these alternate addresses to the email@example.com mailing list and configure those subscriptions to disable mail delivery. That way you don't receive multiple copies of list mail, but you can post from any of your subscribed addresses.
The following guidelines are intended to make posted messages as clear as possible which makes the mailing lists as useful as possible to as many people as possible. Failure to follow them or RFC 1855 "Netiquette Guidelines" reflects poorly on the individual. Thus it behooves each of us to follow them.
- Post to the correct list. (See above.)
- Please do not cross-post to both lists.
- Quote replies properly
- Trim unnecessary parts of the quotation.
- Attribute your quote accurately.
- Reply within the quotation for proper context. Your reply followed by a long quotation (a.k.a. top-posting) is strongly discouraged. The list archives are available online if anyone needs to refer to the full history. Please do not duplicate that history (especially in backward order from how text is normally read, top-to-bottom); it drives down the signal-to-noise ratio.
- Digest readers shall reply to single threads and change the subject line to reflect that. It should appear to the mailing list that one is replying to an individual message, not a digest.
- No large (especially binary) attachments
- No HTML — list messages shall be plain ASCII text only. Please see http://www.expita.com/nomime.html for help turning off HTML in several popular mailers.
- Stay on topic.
- Do not flame anyone for crossing these guidelines. That's the list admin's job. If you must point out some transgression, do so to the admin and not the list.
- Do not flame anyone for any other reason. If you don't have something constructive to write, please don't.
You will find your questions more likely to be answered if you respect your readers' time by following the above guidelines. Linux in general is a merit-based society. Be a good citizen.
Please send questions and comments to the list administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Thank you.
To see the collection of prior postings to the list,
visit the Linux
(The current archive is only available to the list
Subscribe to Linux by filling out the following
You will be sent email requesting confirmation, to
prevent others from gratuitously subscribing you. Once
confirmation is received, your request will be held for approval
by the list moderator. You will be notified of the moderator's
decision by email. This is also a hidden list, which means that the
list of members is available only to the list administrator.